Some countries have uncomplicated pet import requirements similar to the EU’s and we are happy to organise these certificates for you. The following countries do not recognise the EU AHC but we can provide your pet with an Export Health Certificate (EHC) that conforms to their import requirements.

  • Serbia
  • Bosnia-Herzegovina
  • Montenegro
  • Northern Macedonia
  • Turkey
  • Lebanon
  • Israel
  • Egypt
  • Bahrain
  • United Arab Emirates (UAE)
  • Singapore
  • Indonesia
  • Chine (CATS ONLY)
  • Zimbabwe
  • Senegal
  • Bermuda
  • Colombia
  • Brazil

If your companion is travelling to any of these countries please complete the EHC application. If your country is not listed please contact us at Travel@londonvetclinic.co.uk to see if we can assist


Some countries have unusual import regulations requiring blood sampling, parasite treatment or home visits by an Official Veterinarian (OV). The London Vet Clinic does not offer specialised advice on the Import or Export of pets.

Contact a professional pet travel export broker (suggestions below) who understand the present Import requirements for these countries.


If you are taking your dog to China please use a profession pet travel specialist.

If you are taking your cat to China, we can provide the needed EHC. Please complete this EHC application form.


Please use a professional pet travel specialist. We will follow their instructions, taking the needed blood samples on the required dates, forwarding them to the approved lab and returning the paperwork to the travel specialist.


Please use the services of a professional pet travel specialist.


At present these are no agreements in place between these countries and the UK for pet travel. Please contact a professional pet travel specialist for advice.


Consultants arrange flights and the necessary DEFRA Export Certificates. Certificates are usually completed by the Official Veterinarian (OV) at Heathrow Airport. Pet Travel Consultants work with us, telling us, for example, the exact dates  blood samples must be taken and which lab to send samples to. It is your and the Pet export consultant’s responsibility to make sure that the dates, times, and paperwork are in order prior to your companion’s departure from the UK.

There are many Pet travel service specialists available. The London Vet Clinic is not affiliated with any of these travel brokers.






For all other counties not named above please email us at travel@londonvetclinic.co.uk telling us when and where your companion is going.  We will research that country’s import requirements and then either help you with the needed EHC or refer you to pet travel specialists.


How old must a puppy or kitten be to enter the UK?

Dogs and cats must be microchipped and 12 weeks of age or over when given their rabies vaccination. In some instances two rabies injections at a two week interval may be given. Then, depending on where the pup is vaccinated there is a required minimum 21 day period for the vaccine to actively produce protecting antibodies. For kits and pups coming from most countries around the world, a blood sample must be taken 31 days or more after the rabies inoculation, to confirm active protection against rabies. That means that puppies and kittens must be over 20 weeks of age to meet the health requirements to enter the UK.

How will my dog/cat cope with flying?

Some cats vocalise a little but most settle down very well and go to sleep.

Dogs are much the same. There are several organic calming supplements which you may want to try including Calmex and Zylkene. If you prefer homeopathic remedies we are familiar with people using Bach Flower Rescue Remedy. We do not recommend using prescription sedatives simply because of the risk of an adverse reaction without immediate access to veterinary advice.

I am outside the UK and my vet doesn’t know which labs are approved to check rabies antibody titres. Do you have a list of approved labs?

What if I miss or cancel an appointment of change details once I’ve given them to you?

Once you have booked an appointment with the clinic for an Export Health Certificate (EHC) it means that we have reserved a time in our schedule exclusively for you and your pet.

After completing the travel questionnaire and confirming your appointment, we will ask for payment then apply to the APHA for the unique travel documents for your companion, and complete the APHA’s data requirements for your travel. if you change your plans or change who will be travelling with your pet, you will be charged an additional 50% of the EHC fee.

If you cancel your appointment with us after confirming your appointment, you will be charged a consultation fee.

If you need to cancel your appointment less than 24 hours before it is scheduled to take place, you will be charged a consultation fee

I don’t want my dog vaccinated against rabies. How can I travel with him?

Rabies vaccination is mandatory. If a dog is not vaccinated it cannot be given an AHC.

Do you have a preferred pet travel shipper?

We do not have a preferred shipper. Our clients have used these shippers.





Can I take my dog/cat to Russia / Belarus?

Currently Russia and the Government of the United Kingdom do not have an export certificate agreement in place whereby one can apply for a certificate to travel.

Russian Customs authorities do have a form (Form 15) for pets travelling to Russia from other countries. We recommend that you contact a professional Pet Travel Broker for assistance in travelling to Russia. We are not affiliated with any brokers but clients have used the services of the above brokers.

May I apply to DEFRA for an Export Health Certificate?

Anyone with a government gateway account and a DEFRA account may apply for an EHC.

For more information visit:


Phone: 03000 200 301

Please let us know when you have made your application.

What paperwork do I need to return to the UK with my companion?


The UK government has relatively simple requirements for pets returning to the UK from  ‘listed’ countries.

Part 1 listed countries all qualify for EU Pet Passports. Part 2 listed countries, including Bosnia-Herzegovina, North Macedonia, Bahrain, UAE, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Canada, United States have relatively simple requirements for returning to the UK.


(Dogs and cats arriving from EU countries and other countries designated as Part 1 listed countries can enter the UK using a valid pet passport issued by the pet’s country of residence. This includes all EU countries plus Norway and Switzerland.)


If your pet has been to an ‘unlisted country’ such as Albania, Serbia, South Africa, Saudi Arabia etc, there are stringent requirements for re-entry into the UK. If a pet returns from an ‘unlisted country’, a blood test carried out at least three months before arrival in the UK, showing a protective level of rabies antibodies is needed.  The rabies antibody blood test must be done by a government recognised laboratory at least a month after your pet’s rabies. That means that pets can enter the UK, a little over four months after their rabies vaccination.


I can’t find an answer to my question. What do I do?

Please book a telephone consultation with one of our OVs. Export telephone/video consultations are 20 minutes and are charged at £90.  Payment will be requested prior to your consultation.