If you are travelling with your dog or cat (or ferret) to the EU or Northern Ireland after the 1st January, 2021 your pet's existing UK passport will not be valid. Your pet will need a new ANIMAL HEALTH CERTIFICATE. The new ANIMAL HEALTH CERTIFICATE is valid for a single trip only. Each visit with your pet to the EU will require a fresh ANIMAL HEALTH CERTIFICATE. The UK's Animal & Plant Health Agency has given us this preliminary advice. 


An ANIMAL HEALTH CERTIFICATE (AHC) is valid for entry into the EU and Northern Ireland for 10 days from the date of issue. 
That means that we should see your pet early during that 10 day window, confirm it is microchipped and inoculated against rabies and certify it is healthy and safe to travel. 

Each AHC is valid for a single trip to the EU. 
If for example, you return to the UK then go back to the EU or Northern Ireland the following week your pet will need a new AHC.There are no certificates for multiple visits. 

The AHC is valid for re-entry to Great Britain for 4 months from the date of issue. 
There are no changes to the current health preparations for pets returning to Great Britain. 

Pet Passports issued by all EU countries and Pet Passports previously issued by the UK will continue to be recognised for pets entering Great Britain. 
If you and your pet live anywhere in the EU you can return to Great Britain using your pet's old passport as long as the rabies inoculation has not expired. If your pet has an old UK issued EU passport it cannot be used to return to the EU. You will need a new AHC. If your pet has a passport issued by any EU country that passport can be used to return to the EU or to visit Northern Ireland.

Your pet does not need a pet passport or an AHC if it is entering Great Britain from:
Northern Ireland
the Republic of Ireland
the Channel Islands
the Isle of Man

The AHC is a more complex document that the previous passport and will take longer to complete. 
We will be using a new Animal & Plant Health Agency portal to complete AHCs. We have our first batch of UNIQUE CERTIFICATE NUMBERS to apply to each AHC. There are 22 different AHCs for us to chose from depending where you are first visiting. Completing then verifying official government documents is very time consuming. We are experienced with Pet Passports but the turn around time for AHCs will be considerably longer than it was for Pet Passports. 

Your pet must be microchipped then vaccinated against rabies when it is at least 12 weeks old.
Your pet must wait 21 days after primary rabies inoculation before travelling to the EU.
As long as the rabies inoculation is within date (three years from inoculation date) repeat inoculations are not needed for repeat trips to the EU.

If your dog is travelling to Northern Ireland, the Republic of Ireland, Norway, Finland or Malta, it must have treatment for the tapeworm Echinococcus multilocularis 1-5 days before arriving in any of these countries. (Worming details will be entered on your dog's AHC or EU issued pet passport.)

The Animal Plant and Health Agency (APHA) and the London Vet Clinic wish to remind you that it is your responsibility to check the rules of the country you're travelling to, for any additional restrictions or changed requirements. Neither the APHA nor the London Vet Clinic are responsible for checking a country's regulations on your behalf.

Homepage  •   Contact   •   Privacy Notice   •   Terms & Conditions   •   Sitemap

Website by: